The Vision Confirmed A Wedding

The date was set, May 22, 1988, Pentecost Sunday.  The plans were made.  Invitations were ready to be sent.  We had discussed the arrangements with Pastor Tom.  We developed a unique wedding like no other.  This would be a Pentecost to remember forever - a filling of the Holy Spirit in a special way.  

The music selections were from our favorite tapes by Don Meon with "Give Thanks", Leon Patillo with "Flesh of My Flesh", and Scott Wesley Brown with "I Was Born To Love You".  These were songs very special in our spiritual lives, songs that brought us into His Kingdom deeper and deeper.

Six weeks before the well planned and set date, May 22, 1988, my fiance, Yvonne, called off the wedding.  In spite of my pleadings she said, "It's not going to happen."  Wow.  I was put into a whirlwind of loss, a struggle that was devastating.  There was nothing I could say or do to make the wedding happen.

I remember a Friday morning, I was ready to leave for work.  I bowed and prayed, and a vision came to my mind's eye.  Below is a rough sketch I made of the vision after having seen it unfold before me.  

A VISION
I saw an oval hedge of protection around everything.  Inside the oval, at the bottom, there was a circle with 6 people in it.  They represented, Yvonne and I, Yvonne's son and my 3 daughters. Inside the circle was the number 22.  In the top half of the oval, there were people praising God with hands raised.  Then from the left, a word started to drift down into the oval.  It's was the word, "March", the month of March.  Being that this vision was occurring 6 weeks before the set date, March had already passed.  Thus, I did not want this date because it would make a new date of March 22, 1989, a year later.  However, rather than resist the date and try to make the vision what I wanted it to be, I let go of the outcome.  At that point, the word "March" disappeared and was replaced with the word "May".  Wow.  I was relieved with the message that on May 22, 1988, Pentecost Sunday, a wedding was envisioned to occur.

I later called Yvonne and told her about this vision.  It did not matter to her.  That's when she said, "It's not going to happen." 

Two days later, on Sunday, I went to morning church where the planned wedding was set to take place.  During our opening prayer time, I stood before the members of the church and told them what had happened.  As I stood there with the stack of invitations in my hand, I told them about the vision.  I asked them to join with me in faith believing that the wedding was going to occur on the set date.  I told them that I was going to send out the invitations immediately even though Yvonne said, "It's not going to happen."

I sent out the invitations.  Being that it was 29 years ago, I do not remember exactly how Yvonne changed her mind and recommitted to the wedding, but I do remember clearly how the wedding took place on May 22, 1988, Pentecost Sunday.  It was the longest wedding, 2 hours, full of songs of praise and thanksgiving, full of scripture, full of preaching, full of prayer.  Even Pastor Tom commented during the wedding to those present, "You've probably never been to a wedding like this before . . . but it's full of God's Word."  He went on to talk about God's word and salvation.  I have the complete audio of the wedding on "cassette tape" now converted to electronic format.

To further preserve this wedding, this moment in our history with it's happenings, I hope to write about all that occurred on that day.  It was a day that we know God truly blessed us and and we know that He still blesses us today.

A lessoned learned from this is that God can bless us in spite of our shortcomings. He does not give up on us because of what we have done in the past to wreck our own lives. He can restore to us what we have lost.  Yvonne and I have been reminded of that every Pentecost Sunday and every May 22nd since 1988.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FRANK M. BARBUSH, The Grandfather I Never Knew

"To The 42nd Floor" - A Short Story