A DECISION THAT TOOK ME ON 

A JOURNEY THROUGH LIFE


Recently, a close friend from 5 decades ago passed away.  Because of that, I have been reminiscing and reflecting on those days that occurred in the late 1960s, when I was in my last 2 years of high school and my first 2 years of college, 1965 to 1970.

Here is what I posted on Facebook about this friend who passed:

PAUL E. OKUM:  May 2, 1946 - February 18, 2021

Though we were disconnected in our later adult years, Paul and I were close friends way back in the late 1960s.  He was one of a kind and we were two of a kind.  I did call him several years ago and we reminisced about our good times and people we knew then.  The loss of Paul is felt greatly.  His entire family is special.  Paul was a Bishop McDevitt grad, about 1963/64.  He married one of my classmates from McD 1967, Frances Ann Saluta. 

As I ponder those days in the late 1960s and think about Paul Okum and other people I met and knew back then I realize that it was one small decision I made that changed my life forever and unforgettably.  That decision was made when I was nearly 16, around the summer of 1964.  I went and applied for a job at Super Thrift Grocery Store on Derry Street in Rutherford.  That one little decision led to meeting many people who impacted my life greatly and unforgettably. 

At Super Thrift, I met Bob Laudermilch, Gladys Gross, and Paul Okum. Bob was the Store Manager. Gladys was the Assistant Manager.  And Paul Okum was an employee.  Meeting those people changed my life forever, leading me to do things and meet others that would further impact my journey through life. 

Working for Bob at Super Thrift was a job that had me employed through high school, through community college, and through the rest of my college days.  After community college, whenever I had breaks from college away from home, Bob always welcomed me back to work for him again, and again.  Bob has been an unforgettable influence in my life.

Working with Gladys at Super Thrift was also influential.  She set all the work schedules.  She was always kind.  She treated us with respect and care.

Then, meeting Paul, who was about 3 to 4  years older than me was extremely influential.  As we got to know one another, most of what we did was joke, laugh greatly, and have great times together.  We were very social and our friendship drafted others into our circle.  We did that with having many good and descent parties where we gathered our friends for great fun and laughter.  We danced and sang to the music of our time.

One major player in our group of friends was Jim Maley.  I went to grade school and junior high school with Jim.  After that, I went to Bishop McDevitt and Jim went to John Harris, and we disconnected for some time, until we were reunited at Super Thrift.  Jim got a job there and we were both cashiers, along with Paul.  We formed a jovial trio being three guys who just enjoyed being together and having fun, laughing all the time.  Our trio was the core of our parties where we brought our friends and dates to share and enjoy the times we had.  

Dates!  There were many dates we brought to our parties.  There were many dates we sought and found because we each had to have one for each party.  Jim Maley had the same date every time because they were going steady.  I think her name was Lynn.  Paul and I had many different dates, though Paul did have an occasional steady romance.  

So, what's the point of this reminiscing?  The point is that those times were ones that shaped my life very significantly and left a permanent mark and impact on my journey through life.  What if I had never applied for the job at Super Thrift?  What if I had never met Bob Laudermilch, or Gladys Gross, or Paul Okum?  How would my life be different today?  What would I be like today? Where would I be? Would I even be alive? ONLY GOD KNOWS. 

Of course, any decision we make can have a lasting impact on us and change the directory of our lives.  But, surely, there are some decisions that seem to have a greater impact than others.  ONLY GOD KNOWS.

And what about my parents?  They must have led me to apply for jobs.  I don't specifically remember any suggestions about Super Thrift or any other place.  But, I was 15 and could not drive.  So, Dad must have taken me to Super Thrift to put in an application.  Maybe he took me to other stores too.  I don't remember.  But, his decision to take me was also key to this life journey of mine which started at Super Thrift.

As I reminisce about these precious people and places I've been, I am thankful for the journey that I have been on. Maybe, or even likely, or even definitely, GOD DIRECTED IT ALL.  I can't know what my life would have been like and is now if I had not applied for a job at Super Thrift, but I can wonder.

Surely, God has a hand in our lives, whether we know it or not, acknowledge it or not.  Not all of our decisions are good ones, but surely some of them are tremendous ones.  And surely, God knew all the time where every decision would lead.

Even though I did not know God much at the time, I am sure now that he had a hand in my decision to apply for a job and accept a job at Super Thrift Grocery Store where I met Bob, Gladys, Paul, Jim, and others who influenced my life and I have never forgotten.

Thank You, God, for the path you have put me on in this journey in my life. 

___________________________________________________________


That story about my life's journey ties into what I call "The 96 Days of the Easter Season".  Today is Day 12 - Sunday, February 28, 2021 - 12th Day from Ash Wednesday

In Luke Chapter 9, verse 51, Jesus made a decision that Luke describes this way:

"Now it came to pass, when the time had come for Jesus to be received up, that He steadfastly set His face to go to Jerusalem, and sent messengers before His face."

That is when Jesus started His final journey in His life to go to Jerusalem where He would triumphantly enter on Palm Sunday, continue HIs teaching in Jerusalem, have a last supper with His disciples, suffer and die on the cross, be entombed, and then rise on Resurrection Sunday.  You can read about it here:






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FRANK M. BARBUSH, The Grandfather I Never Knew

"To The 42nd Floor" - A Short Story