I Wonder Where We Are Headed.....

Lately, I cannot help but wonder where we are headed as individuals, in our relationships, as a nation, and in the world.  I look around and see and hear things like I have never seen and heard before.  I say, "Who would have thought, when I was a kid, 50 years ago, that things would be as they are today?"  I was a kid then, so what did I know to be able to answer that question?  Not much at the age of 12.  But I am guessing that my parents would be shocked at what I see and hear today.

Certain beliefs and opinions of people are very troubling.  The obvious deceptions that occur by many politicians is scary.  Wrong is now right, and right is now wrong.  Laws are misguided and persecutionary (is that a word?), some petty, some outrageously wrong, and there are laws on top of laws on top of laws, outdated and even conflicting.  How can we continue to live this way?  How much worse can it get?  Not 'can' it get, but 'will' it get?

It appears that people are being deceived in large numbers.  So large that the entire country is being swayed by the deception, taken in directions we should not go.  How can people not see what is being done to them?  How can people not see where they are being led?  They think it's a good way, but it's not.

Am I just being pessimistic?  Am I being self-righteous?  Some might say so, but I don't think so.  I am largely wondering what I should be doing about what is going on around me in this world.  Am I just to keep working at making a living and taking care of my family and my life?  Or am I to do something else, that God has for me, which I have not yet understood?  Do I have one foot "in the world, but not of it" and one foot "in the world and of it?"  Are others like that also?

I wonder if we just have our heads in the sand.  We go to work, if we have a job, and earn a paycheck, and come home to take care of home and family.  What about the people around us who are hiding their struggles, pains, and sorrows, not letting on that they are in real trouble?  What about people who just don't want to be bothered with anything beyond their walls?  What would happen to us, what would we do differently, if we could literally hear the sounds of pain and struggling coming from our neighbors' home, our co-workers' cubicles and offices, the cars passing us, as we pass anyone in a store and elsewhere, and maybe even our family members?  What kind of horrifying sound would that be?   I don't know, but I'm sure God knows.  And because He knows, He reaches out to all of us so that we can turn to Him and put all our pains and struggles at His feet, or actually, on the Cross of Christ where they belong.

This is not an encouraging message.  The is a lament, and maybe a prayer to say, 
"Hey God, things are looking pretty bad.  What am I supposed to do?"  

Does anyone else feel this way?

Maybe I just need to listen to this song, over and over and over again: 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FRANK M. BARBUSH, The Grandfather I Never Knew

"To The 42nd Floor" - A Short Story